An empty stage. A silent crowd, humming with anticipation. Cue the laugh track as I burst through the curtain for the season premiere of my critically acclaimed talk show. Welcome back, folks! I know you've missed me!
You know what, you don't even have to test your imagination. You can just look at this gif I made for the Mallrats soundtrack, it's pretty much the same thing. It's kind of funny that I spent hours teaching myself how to make gifs for one post, and then I never touched them again. I never even put it up on this website like I do with most of my edits. It's almost like I'm ashamed. I mean, I'm not ashamed, it's pure laziness and inattention, but it could be seen as shame. If you really wanted.
Where am I going with this? I wish I knew. I logged on to Blogspot to update my Book Gallery because that's one of the few things I stay on top of, and I found myself in the post editor instead. To be specific, I found myself in the post editor for my December "Reading Recap" that I never finished when I was supposed to, four months ago, even though I had free time and nothing better to do. Wowee, that's a lot of hyperlinks. Not that it matters -- my reading recaps will probably never be referenced again. Soak them in while you can.
I intended to backdate recaps for up to March, but once I hit publish on December's I realized I don't care. Well, I knew I didn't care before that, and I was going to push through it anyway, but it hit me that one year of recaps is much cleaner than one year and three months of recaps. Leave it to me to decide what I want to do based on symmetry. I also spent a day a couple months ago venturing to the Michael's on the other side of town, and I picked up a bullet journal and a pack of highlighters. Now I have somewhere physical to write down my thoughts on books, which is a lot more satisfying from a physical media perspective, as well as a I don't want you to know anything about me perspective.
I'm getting off topic. Did I have a topic? Anyway, it made me kind of frustrated to see how monotonous this blog has gotten over the past year. I used to talk about DVD special features, new album releases, and how suicidal I was as a middle schooler. Fun times. Then I started posting what I thought would be good for a "blog" to have and stayed happily in my comfort zone.
The point I'm circling around is where I go from here. To be honest, I never look at anything I post after I post it. This is a time capsule of what I feel like in the moment that I'll scrutinize once I'm world famous and trying to mine my past for inspiration, or philosophizing about my life falling apart and where it all went wrong. I feel like I'm on a pull-string when I say that I've been doing real life things, and it's drained me of all of my creative impulses. That isn't all negative -- I'm doing well, respected by my peers, and have exciting plans for 2027. I still want to be better about picking up my hobbies, though. I started by completing a puzzle last month and popping out two edits in as many days. That's a pretty high bar.
I was going to go on a whole spiel about what New Year's resolutions I want to make; I'm not anymore. Resolutions put too much pressure on the end result rather than the process, and I don't want to have to do that much introspection. Instead, we are going to cut this post short -- that's a lie, it's already spun out of control -- so I can play mobile games for an hour before breaking out the vodka and Blackberry (2023). Life can be pretty funny if you roll with the punches.

No comments:
Post a Comment